Home Hunter
Paul Charles - Phone: (705) 722-7100 - Email Me

What Do You Need to Know About Title Insurance

Take a look at the brochure Understanding Title Insurance, found at http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca in the Publications section. Published by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, the agency responsible for regulating insurance in the province, the brochure provides an overview of title insurance. Here’s a snapshot:

Title insurance is a policy that covers residential or commercial property owners (and their lenders) against losses related to the property’s title. For a onetime fee, or premium, a title insurance policy can provide compensation for losses due to factors like: unknown title defects; existing liens against the property’s title; encroachment issues; title fraud; errors in surveys and public records; plus other title-related issues that can affect your ability to sell your property. Title insurance will also cover most legal expenses related to restoring your property’s title.

Do I really need it?

Title insurance is not mandatory in Ontario. However, do speak to your lawyer, title insurance company, or insurance agent/broker, to be sure you fully understand what type of protection it can provide—and to determine if other options exist. Once you get all the facts, you can make an informed decision based on your specific situation and needs. It’s important to keep in mind that title insurance does not replace legal advice when purchasing property.

When do I buy residential title insurance?

It is usually purchased before your property purchase is finalized. However, you can also buy it for existing residences—and the coverage lasts as long as you own your property. The cost varies — it is based on the value of your property and the insurance company you choose.

You can purchase residential title insurance through your lawyer or title insurance company, or you can contact an insurance agent/broker.

When purchasing residential title insurance make sure:

Your home is insured for its full value, or the amount you paid for it.

Your policy’s effective date is the same as your home’s closing date, if you are a new home buyer.

You carefully review your policy to ensure that it correctly describes all of the property you are purchasing.

You understand what title-related losses your policy will cover and what it excludes.


Trademarks owned or controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association. Used under license.

MLS®, REALTOR®, and the associated logos are trademarks of The Canadian Real Estate Association.

The listing content on this website is protected by copyright and other laws, and is intended solely for the private, non-commercial use by individuals. Any other reproduction, distribution or use of the content, in whole or in part, is specifically forbidden. The prohibited uses include commercial use, "screen scraping", "database scraping", and any other activity intended to collect, store, reorganize or manipulate data on the pages produced by or displayed on this website.
The information contained on this site is based in whole or in part on information provided by members of The Canadian Real Estate Association, who are responsible for its accuracy. CREA reproduces and distributes this information as a service for its members and assumes no responsibility for its accuracy.
This website is operated by a brokerage or sales person who is a member of The Canadian Real Estate Association.
REALTOR®, REALTORS®, and the REALTOR® logo are certification marks that are owned by REALTOR® Canada Inc. and licensed exclusively to The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA). These certification marks identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA and who must abide by CREA's By-Laws, Rules and the REALTOR® Code. The MLS® trademark and the MLS® logo are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA.

The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service®, and the associated logos identify professional services rendered by REALTOR® members of CREA to effect the purchase, sale and lease of real estate as part of a cooperative selling system.

Trademarks owned or controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association. Used under license.

The information provided herein must only be used by consumers that have a bona fide interest in the purchase, sale or lease of real estate and may not be used for any commercial purpose or any other purpose.

Information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by TREB.

RE/MAX Chay Realty Inc., Brokerage, Independently Owned and Operated
152 Bayfield St.
Barrie ON  L4M-3B5
(705) 722-7100